The Board of Governors has a membership of fourteen committed professional volunteers (including those with a background in education, human resources and finance, church representation and parents).
The Governing Body has corporate powers. Individual governors have no powers on their own. The Governing Body is appointed in accordance of the Instrument of Governance and must uphold the Trust Deed of the Foundation that underpins this Church School.
They meet as a full Board at least 3 times a year. To be efficient, groups of governors meet as committees under Terms of Reference. Four committees regularly meet termly.
To ensure that the full board is strategically and efficiently organised the chairs of each committee meet as a Chairs' Committee at least termly before the termly full board and the cycle of termly committee meetings.
The governors have a Governors Handbook that explains in detail the processes and procedures governors follow (available from the Documents section of this website.
Correspondence to the Chairman should be directed c/o the Clerk to Committees, School Office, St Margaret's CE Primary School, School Road, Orford, Warrington, WA2 9AD.
The school must publish up to date:
- details of the structure and responsibilities of the governing body and its committees
- information about each governor, including their:
- full name, date of appointment, term of office, date they stepped down (where applicable) and who appointed them (in accordance with the governing body’s instrument of government)
- business and financial interests
- governance roles in other educational institutions
- any material interests arising from relationships between governors or relationships between governors and school staff (including spouses, partners and close relatives)
- attendance record at governing body and committee meetings over the last academic year
They meet as a full Governing Body once a term. Through their internal organisation they also meet as committees. The most frequent committees that meet are:
Chairs' Committee, Curriculum Committee, Ethos and Staffing Committee, Environment Committee , Finance Committee
The Chair of Governors is Mrs Ann Elphick and the Vice Chair is Mr David Littlewood.
The Chairs of each committee are:
Chairs' - Mrs Ann Elphick, Ethos & Staffing - Mr David Littlewood, Environment - Rev. Daniel Langdon-Griffiths, Finance - Rev .Simon Rension.
If you wish to contact the Chair of Governors or a chair of a committee, all enquiries should be made through Mrs McGuinness, the Clerk to Committees c/o the school (
Pecuniary Business Interests
A pecuniary interest is where an individual may benefit from an association or transaction undertaken by the school.
A list of pecuniary interests for governors is available here: Governor's Pecuniary Business Interests
Board Committee Structure & Membership
Schools should publish the membership of committees. Here is the membership chart of our committees.
Schools should publish the attendance record of each governor at full governing body and committee meetings over the last academic year. Here is the attendance for our governing board for the last academic year.
Board Business is facilitated through our Governor Hub