The information below describes our rationale for teaching geography in our school.
a. Geography Curriculum Intent
Currently going through scrutiny committee following internal review through Ambition Leadership programme.
b. Geography Curriculum Purpose
A high-quality geography education should inspire in pupils a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. Teaching should equip pupils with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes. As pupils progress, their growing knowledge about the world should help them to deepen their understanding of the interaction between physical and human processes, and of the formation and use of landscapes and environments. Geographical knowledge, understanding and skills provide the framework and approaches that explain how the Earth’s features at different scales are shaped, interconnected and change over time.
c. Geography Curriculum Aims
The national curriculum for geography aims to ensure that all pupils:
• develop contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places – both terrestrial and marine – including their defining physical and human characteristics and how these provide a geographical context for understanding the actions of processes
• understand the processes that give rise to key physical and human geographical features of the world, how these are interdependent and how they bring about spatial variation and change over time
• are competent in the geographical skills needed to:
• collect, analyse and communicate with a range of data gathered through experiences of fieldwork that deepen their understanding of geographical processes
• interpret a range of sources of geographical information, including maps, diagrams, globes, aerial photographs and Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
• communicate geographical information in a variety of ways, including through maps, numerical and quantitative skills and writing at length
d. Geography Knowledge Boards
Some aspects of our teaching are single subject based but our integrated subject approach ensures that we have the National Curriculum Coverage.
Our knowledge boards have been designed by our curriculum team of experts and secures the coverage and progression through our school.
Geography Knowledge Board: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19o290_Iyj5iRlTX--nEEuiVvn_IbL308?usp=sharing